The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is the largest public health research institution in Tanzania, established by the Parliament Act No. 23 of 1979 as a parastatal organization under the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare. NIMR’s core function is to generate scientific information required in the development of better methods and techniques of enhancing disease management, prevention and control in the country. The Institute is looking for a qualified dynamic and motivated Tanzanian candidate to fill a post of Project Manager – Malaria Control Research at Amani Medical Research Centre in Muheza.
The Project Manager will be responsible for coordinating and managing a research trial on the Efficacy of Insecticide-Treated Durable Wall Liners as a Method for Malaria Control in North-eastern Tanzania.
Amani Medical Research Centre in Muheza District, north-eastern Tanzania
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- PhD or MSc with several years of field experience in medical entomology, parasitology or epidemiology, specialising in the control of mosquito vectors.
- Knowledge and skills in project management
- Experience in working with national and international organisations of not less than three years
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary programmes of not less than three years
- Knowledge on technical and financial reporting and writing skills
- A strong publication track record.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
To coordinate and supervise a malaria control trial in North-Eastern Tanzania in collaboration with Pan-African Malaria Research Consortium (National Institute for Medical Research, Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine), United States Agency for International Development and Tanzania National Malaria Control Programme.
- Liaise with international and national technical specialists and manage their participation
- Establish and manage a field research team in field epidemiology, medical entomology, parasitology and socio-economics
- Select trial villages and conduct demographic census.
- Conduct baseline community pre-intervention entomological, parasitological and socio-economic surveys.
- Monitor implementation of interventions.
- Train and supervise community health workers
- Co-ordinate passive and active case reporting
- Liaise with local health facilities to obtain case records relating to trial villages
- Follow up surveys (entomological, parasitological, socio-economic) at scheduled intervals in the intervention year
- Data entry and analysis
- Prepare both technical and financial progress report
- Develop scientific manuscripts for publications
Terms and Conditions
The position is for three years contract
Project Manager- Malaria Control Research will report to centre Director-Amani.
An attractive package will be given for a qualified candidate
How to Apply
An interested applicant who meets the specified qualifications may submit her/his application together with photocopies of testimonials plus updated curriculum vitae within 14 days from the first appearance of this announcement to:
c/o Director, Amani Medical Research Centre, P. Box 81, Muheza, Tanzania
Applications may also be submitted as an email attachment to email@example.com. The e-mail subject should read TRAction-ITWL. Such applications must be accompanied by a signed scanned letter, the original of which will be required to be produced at the time of interview.