National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization under the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children. The Institute is charged with Carrying out, Controlling, Coordinating, Registering, Monitoring and Promoting of Health Research in Tanzania. The Institute is internally looking for well trained, competent and self-motivated person to fill the Centre Director vacancy.
Number of Post (1)
Duty Station: Tanga
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD in health related subjects
- Excellent record and extensive experience in research undertaking at a senior level position
- At least 17 scientific publications in peer reviewed journals after attaining PhD degree
- Extensive knowledge and experience of National Institute for Medical Research system and management will have added advantage
- Experience in research leadership, project management and administration
- Previous working experience in research preferably as Director or Head of Station/Department
- Proven experience in leading, supporting and motivating staff teams
Duties and Responsibilities
- Shall be the Scientific and Administrative head of the Centre and as such shall be responsible to the Director General
- Promote excellence in research programmes of the Centre
- Provide leadership and guide the Centre with respect to research by setting priorities, goals and standards, by supporting initiatives and new directions and by personal example
- Co-ordinate research commitments in consultation with Heads/Coordinators of Research Departments/Programmes
- Identify Centre research agenda and set priorities in consultation with Coordinating Directorates, Centre Research Departments and Staff
- Plan for future of the Centre with regards to new research programmes, and be actively involved in mobilizing resources to realize the plans
- Responsible for coordination of efficient and effective implementation of decisions and directives of the NIMR Management and Council
- Prepare and submit to NIMR Headquarters Quarterly and Annual Research, Management/Administrative, Budget and Financial reports in relations to the Center’s functions
- Monitor Centre’s expenditure to ensure that the plan and budget abide to NIMR’s financial regulations
- Coordinate and oversee implementation of performance management system of the Centre as per NIMR’s policies, rules and regulations.
- Carry out all other functions as may from time to time be assigned to him/her by the Director General
Terms of Employment: Permanent and Pensionable.
Mode of Application
Application letter accompanied by an updated curriculum vita, certified copies of academic certificates, names of three referees, current postal address, telephone number, motivational letter and e-mail address, should by email (online submission to: email@example.com) to reach the undersigned within 14 days from the first advertisement. Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
National Institute for Medical Research
3 Barack Obama Drive
P.O. Box 9653, 11101 Dar es Salaam
September 26, 2016