Dr. Godfather Kimaro is a Research Scientist with the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR). He is a holder of Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree of the University of Dar es Salaam (2002) and Masters in International Health of the University of Copenhagen (2010). He is currently a PhD Candidate at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
He has attended several others courses including courses in epidemiology, biostatistics and medical grant writing and grant management, role and function of a comprehensive National Public Health Institution, Research Ethics, report writing and presentation skills, qualitative research training, electronic data processing, analysis and reporting, Scientific Research and Good Clinical Practices. He has also attended a clinical research monitoring training and training on the Fundamental of International Clinical Research.
Before joining NIMR, Dr. Kimaro worked as Medical Officer with the Muhimbili National Hospital (2002-2004. Since then, he has been in a number of research projects on Maternal and Child Health, Tuberculosis, HIV infection, Zoonoses, and Non Communicable Diseases. He was one of the co-investigators of a successful conducted project entitled “Survey of the management of the third stage of labour in Tanzania” which contributed immensely in the current policy on maternal health.
Dr. Kimaro is a recipient of the following grants:
1) Improving prevention and diagnosis of active TB in children in North–East Tanzania
2) Program Research for Strengthening Services (PROGRESS), Capacity Project
3) Strengthening Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response System by Incorporating priority Non-Communicable disease in Tanzania
4) Exploring the bottlenecks influencing low utilization of Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV services in Tanzania
5) Addressing the challenges in provision of Safe Blood for Transfusion in Tanzania
Dr. Kimaro is a member of Tanzania Medical Association and in 2008 he was President Elect of the Association. He is the Founding Chair of Afya Club.
He has published 9 articles in peer reviewed journals.